Matthew Marteinsson, audio designer at Klei Entertainment, joins us to discuss sound design in games. We talk about the various techniques Matt used in Klei’s recent game Don’t Stave, from bees to gobblers. We discuss recording sound effects, what makes great sound design, what makes bad sound design, and some of what makes voice acting a pain. We also touch on Destiny, and get a little epic.
- Don’t Starve
- The existence of Electronic Wind Instruments
- The Bastion Narration that was recorded in a closet
- The Incomparable
- RX Audio Repair
- Hollywood Edge sound libraries
- Matt’s podcast, Beards, Cats, and Indie Game Audio
- Polygon’s Destiny review
- Astro gaming headphones
- Klei’s upcoming game, Invisible, Inc.
Download (1:11:47) • Sep 23, 2014